Periods, also known as the menstruation cycle, are a necessity for every woman as they are crucial to her reproductive system. In every woman, the discharge of blood is a common scenario in her menstrual cycle. You might have noticed that apart from red blood discharge, sometimes during periods the colour of blood discharge also changes to brown, black, or even pink. When finding the answer to “ Why is My period Blood brown? Women associate the change of colour with health issues. But it is not true as brown colour during periods can be due to hormonal changes and other such issues. So, here in this blog, we will deep dive into the reasons why your period blood is brown.
Why is My Period Blood Brown- Chief Causes Explained
If your period blood is brown in the beginning or the end you should not worry about it. Because it is not concerned about the abnormality of health. However, the change in period blood of brown colour may be associated with the following underlying causes.
1. Hormonal Changes: Sometimes, your body is accustomed to many hormonal changes and these changes can be the cause of changes in your period blood colour. Some medical conditions are also accountable for hormonal changes. For example, in patients with thyroids, sometimes, the blood is observed as brown.
2. During Pregnancy: Your period colour can be brown because of pregnancy. It is quite common to have either dark red, pink, or brown blood discharge in the initial days of your pregnancy. However, if brown blood discharge happens in the later stages of pregnancy and is also accompanied by some other factors such as severe abdominal pain, nausea, and cramps, it can be a sign of miscarriage. You should swiftly report to a doctor if you have such signs of pregnancy.
3. During Menopause: Many research papers have indicated that brown blood discharge can happen during menopause. If you are going through the phase of menopause, it is normal to have such blood discharge.
4. Sexually Transmitted Infections: Brown blood discharge is also an evident sign of sexually transmitted diseases or infections. When you have a brown blood discharge during SIT, you may go through some other key signs as well. For example, your brown blood may smell very bad. Apart from this, if you experience brown blood discharge during Sexually transmitted diseases, it can also be accompanied by painful urination.
5. PCOS: In some medical conditions, you can experience brown blood discharge. For example, if you are suffering from PCOS, it may be the case that you are suffering from brown periods. PCOS is an acronym for Polycystic ovary syndrome and it is characterised by either missed periods or else, irregular periods. In this condition, the patients can have minimal periods along with brown blood discharge. It happens when the uterus produces lining but it does not shed it properly via the menstrual cycle.
6. Birth Control Pills: If you are taking birth control pills, and you are experiencing brown blood discharge, you should not worry at all. Because whenever you change your birth control pills, or else, start taking a new one, you often spot brown blood discharge during your menstrual cycle.
7. During Stress or Depression: If you feel extremely stressed or depressed, it may also affect your menstrual blood colour. In cases of extreme stress, and depression, people often undergo huge stress marked by depression.
8. Cervical Cancer: Brown blood discharge is not always a normal condition. It may also happen during some worst medical conditions such as Cervical cancer. If you are suffering from Cervical cancer, you may also experience unusual bleeding along with the brown color discharge of your blood.
9. It marks either the beginning or the end of your period: In some cases, brown discharge indicates either the beginning or the end of your period. It is a sign that your blood is leaving the uterus slowly or it leaves your vagina slowly. This causes your menstrual discharge to turn dark red or brown.
10. Sign of Infection: If during the menstrual cycle, your blood is brown, it can be a telltale sign of infection or inflammation in your uterus, or else, reproductive organs. Such infection in reproductive organs can be harmful and often accompanied by a foul smell.
All these factors are primarily responsible for brown blood discharge. After getting answers to “ Why My Blood is Brown during Periods” the next concern that comes to your mind is whether should you visit a doctor during brown blood discharge or not. Look at some key points to clear up your confusion.
1. If you are experiencing a brown blood discharge and your periods are lasting long. For example, if your menstrual cycle is at least 7 days long or more along with brown blood discharge, you must visit a doctor or healthcare professional immediately.
2. If along with brown blood discharge, you also experience pelvic pain. It is a sign of brown blood discharge.
3. You have brown blood discharge during the menstrual cycle, but also it comes along with extreme pain and heavy bleeding you must consult your doctor at once.
4. If you have brown blood discharge and excessive pain after sexual discharge, you should immediately consult your healthcare professional.
The Important Takeaways:
We hope now you have cleared your concepts regarding “ Why My Blood is Brown During Periods.” Brown blood discharge is fairly normal if it happens at the beginning or the end of your menstrual cycle. But along with brown menstrual discharge, when you also go through a lot of pain and other symptoms like foul smell, you should consult your medical care service provider or doctor. They will treat your problem in the best way.